This event is designed for year 12 students.
The event is posted twice, due to the two different locations and times, but the information that follows is identical across the two event pages.
In 2016 we will be holding the Year 12 Morning in two venues:
- Sunday 17 July: Loreto College Ballarat Theatrette (1600 Sturt Street, Ballarat)
- Sunday 24 July: Robert Blackwood Hall, Monash University Clayton (Wellington Road, Clayton)
Cost: $11.00 per student and staff member (including GST)
** For this event we are accepting payment by EFT only **
- Account Name: JLTAV Inc.
- BSB: 033-034
- Account Number 61-1599
N.B. If you are sending money from your personal account, please write the name of your school in the reference section of Net-banking form.
The 2016 ‘Year 12 Morning’ was held in two locations, Sunday 17 July at Loreto College in Ballarat, and on Sunday 24 July at the Robert Blackwood Hall in Monash University’s Clayton Campus. We were pleased to be able to support our colleagues in regional areas by running the ‘Year 12 Morning’ again in Ballarat.
The event was well supported with 947 students from 110 schools in both metropolitan and regional areas attending the event overall. This event focuses on preparing students for the end of year oral and written exams for Japanese Second Language.
We greatly appreciate the support of Ms Julie Devine who has been the presenter of the ‘Year 12 Morning’ for a number of years now. Julie brings many years of experience as a VCE teacher to share and her attention to detail always ensures a most informative presentation.
Students received a comprehensive booklet outlining advice on what to expect in the external exams and how to go about preparing for them. The booklet also contained a practice exam which students can complete at home or during class time. Teachers received support materials for the practice exam including a listening CD and answer sheet.
The morning was divided into three parts. The first session focused on the oral exam and strategies to achieve success in the general conversation and discussion sections. Students were able to compare and discuss performances in the oral exam by viewing two mock orals, a good example and a not so good example.
After a short break, Dr Robyn Spence-Brown, Senior Lecturer and Coordinator, Higher Degree by Research Program, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics at Monash University spoke about tertiary options available for continuing Japanese studies at the different universities in Melbourne. This is an excellent opportunity for students to hear how they can take their Japanese studies further at university level. We appreciate the support Robyn gives the JLTAV in her role as tertiary liaison. We also thank Masako Kennedy for presenting the tertiary session for the Ballarat seminar.
The last session focused on strategies for the written exam. The listening, reading and writing sections were outlined and students were given the opportunity to listen to two of the texts in the practice exam and answer the questions in the booklet.
The success of the day is attributed to the hardworking JLTAV committee members. We also thank Yoshiko Glenton from the JLTAV office who assisted in organising the day as well as members of the committee for their assistance on the day.
The JLTAV committee would also like to acknowledge the continued support of the Melbourne Centre for Japanese Language Education (MCJLE) and sincerely thank Anne de Kretser and Hiroko Liu for their assistance in organising the event.
It is pleasing to see the number of students continuing their Japanese studies into Year 12 and the importance of this event is reflected in the number of attendees on the day. We extend our best wishes to this year’s Year 12 Japanese cohort as they prepare for their exams.
President, JLTAV Inc. (Reg. No. A0024691U)
- Complete the online registration form.
- Before pressing submit, print the form (it is a TAX INVOICE) and organise the payment by Tuesday 21 June. Late applications are not accepted.
- Please send the payment advice to email@example.com. No paper advice required. Please only register once and wait until after the closing date to receive registration confirmation from the JLTAV Office
- You will receive confirmation from the JLTAV office by Tuesday 12 July.
- You will receive tickets prior to the event.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you specified immediately. Please check your inbox for notification to ensure you entered your details correctly. Check spam folders if necessary.
- If you DID NOT receive a confirmation email, you either did not complete the form or entered your email address incorrectly. This will likely mean you are not registered.
- You MUST resubmit the form if you did not receive a confirmation email within five minutes.
- There are only 144 seats in the Theatrette at Loreto College Ballarat. When this venue becomes full, students and teachers will need to attend the event at Monash University Clayton. Teachers will be informed of this.
- You will not be registered until payment has been received by the JLTAV Office
- The same presentation will be made at both venues
- If you do not receive confirmation from us by Tuesday 12 July, it is your responsibility to first check your school administration, then contact the JLTAV Office.
- Please only register once and wait until after the closing date to receive registration confirmation from the JLTAV Office.
- If your students are paying to attend please collect all money first and register as a class and not individually
- Cancellation policy is available at the bottom of this page.
|9.45 am||Successful strategies for the oral examination|
|11.30||Tips for the written examination|
|12.45 pm||Question time|
The Year 12 Morning was supported by the Victorian Government.